From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:52:46 -0400
One great thing about digital is when you make a mistake, it can be corrected immediately.  What Abignale said was:

> Frank Abignale of the FBI and famous for his early career depicted in the movie "Catch Me If You Can" has given several speeches ( I heard him once after Clinton won and once after Bush W. won)  in which he describes America as follows: "40% of Americans are Democrats, their parent and grandparents were Democrats and 40% of Americans are Republicans, their parent and grandparents were Republicans and 20% are in the middle. This 20% believes that the wrestling on WWE is real. These are the Bubba factor and they swing the election.  It is why Clinton won because the Bubba's identified with him and not Bush H. and; it is why Bush W. beat Gore. So America's fate swings on the Bubba vote."

I should also point out that many of us Bubba's don't find it a derogatory claim. It is all in the inflection.

And Bubba's don't just exist in the South as Jeff Foxworthy has pointed out. Far right Bubba's like to send emails that show FAIL.COM events and people in foreign countries carrying enormous amounts of stuff on a bike or Moped. They still wear Tenner shoes and they invented bikes without fenders. (You see them in the Five and Dime with a mud streak up their back.)  They like the Tour Dee France because only Bubba bikes are allowed. The more centrified Bubba's send political emails and cartoons and think the Tea Party is A-Okay.

But the Bubba's "get" the Internet and they set up Family Listserves on Yahoo because why the heck not?

And if you wear a Hawaiian shirt, have a Bar B Que grill where you melted off the handle and replaced it with stick from the yard, you become an honorary Bubba. Bubba's can't be Occupy people because doggone they have to go work in the early morning. And if they made a sign it would have some NARCAR drivers' number on it. And who is gonna vote for a candidate backed by someone wearing a Cheesehead and holding up a sign with a 3 on it and if you don't know who that driver is then you are not  Bubba.

Fred Grevin is not a Bubba but I did force him to use "Doggone" in a sentence or was it a sentence fragment. Larry is a Bubba cause he invented the grill with the stick on it. Peter is a Bubba but I can't tell you why.

Well, back to work doing a census of all the cemeteries in Berks counties because doggone it;  those Revolutionary soldiers got a right to vote too, if Bubba's have a say in it.  This records managering stuff comes in right handy at times.

Hugh Smith
(610)  756-4440