From:
Angela Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2012 19:33:49 -0500
Dear Listserv

I am trying to do some research on what is considered "best practice" for the treatment of destroyed item metadata.  In the past, I had always retained such data for a period of time because, when I was on a dynamic records management system with great reporting and query abilities (thank you, Galina Datskovsky), I had no need to keep anything in paper format except for the signed "Candidate for Destruction" Reports that were signed off by the various stakeholders.  Everything else was electronic.

Now, I have inherited a "not so dynamic" system in an environment where, once a destruction notice is signed, all traces of the destroyed data are eliminated from the system completely.  Only the signed "Notices of Destruction" are retained (with attachments or spreadsheets if applicable) and all destroyed records are immediately removed from the system, including box and folder metadata.  It requires me to go through a lot of paper documents when I need to answer a question during a deposition as to why I cannot produce requested documents that were destroyed in the normal course of business as defined by the retention schedule.

Does anyone know of any "best practice" standard out there?  I know that I need to show timely, consistent destruction compliance to the corporate retention schedule, but is there a "standard" for how that compliance is documented?  And what metadata, at the very least, is recommended?  I've got my own opinions, but am entertaining any and all feedback!  I've also been told that what I document for physical media and electronic media should by consistent...but I am arguing that point because the physical properties of the media are different.  But, that may be another topic for discussion....LOL!

Warmest regards,

Angie Fares