From:
Gordy Hoke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gordy Hoke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2012 16:49:28 -0500
Esteemed colleagues:

Please share your views.

Two exigencies: 1) I work closely with IT, and 2) Our corporate records program, historically responsible for the U.S. and Puerto Rico, is going global.

As we formulate policy, there has been significant misunderstanding about disposition.  Some of our colleagues/customers equate it with "disposal".  Others understand the difference, but they recognize the challenges of communicating that concept in a global policy where English proficiency may be limited.

Are there clearer terms to use?  Is there a better word than "disposition" to communicate that at the end of records' retention period, they are either transferred or destroyed?  What words work better than "disposition" and "dispose"?

All suggestions will be well appreciated!

Hoping to see many of you in Chicago,

Gordy
Gordon E.J. Hoke, CRM
Electronic Records Manager