From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2012 08:20:11 -0400
Good Morning Gordy.  I'll be seeing you in Chicago in a couple of months.

I understand your issue and I have had the same in many venues where I am working with those whose native language is English, so I can imagine that it is compounded where you add the global nature of your business.  After a quick search I am inclined to say that the term "disposition" could be used in conjunction with some sort of terminology that speaks to guidance or administration of the treatment of the records at the end of their retention period - if that helps people understand that there are limited options of what happens at the end of the required retention period (transfer to archives, destroy, and in limited situations donate to another entity (rare)).

Two other things to note, and I believe you are on your way to the first:

-Controlled language is a beneficial part of a records and information management program; and

-ISO 15489 defines disposition for us - in a global environment - as a, "range of processes associated with implementing records retention, destruction or transfer decisions which are documented in disposition authorities or other instruments"

My personal preference is to use the word disposition where it indicates the limited options at the end of the retention period, and destruction - deletion is OK for the electronic records and not dispose or disposal.  This is also how US Federal records management programs use these terms.  I have spent many years working with Federal clients here in the States.
Hope this helps.

Tod Chernikoff, CRM, CIP
---------------  Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 16:49:28 -0500