From:
Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2012 09:15:07 -0400
I used to work at Yale, and it used Banner for student records, but not
for employee data. I've been out of Yale since late 2005, so things may
have changed...or maybe not. The admissions and academic offices using
Banner maintained a discreet set of physical records (paper and/or
microforms) as the record copy and would not consider Banner to be the
database of record, even though it was. The Law School and I think another
graduate school did not use Banner at all because they didn't like the way
it manage the student data and could not accurately represent their
grading methods. The Law School had a pass/high pass/fail grading system,
and could not translate these marks into numerical equivalents.

Retaining the physical records was in fact more manageable because the
student records have a very long retention anyway. Something like "75
years from graduating/leaving Yale or 5 years after death, whichever is
longer" made it far easier to manage the physical and not be concerned
about periodic data migrations all that they entail.

The records schedule I developed for Yale was intentionally designed to
account for all types/forms/media of student records. Here's the URL:
http://www.library.yale.edu/mssa/ua_sched_studentrecords.html