From:
Dwight WALLIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2012 09:15:24 -0700
I was surprised that Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts are the same age - I
though Wyman was considerably older.

I saw the Stones in Seattle at the Kingdome before it was torn down, on
their Bridges to Babylon tour. I had to be dragged to the concert, because
I didn't want to see a bunch of elderly rockers going through the motions.
I was completely blown away. Being a guitarist, Ron Wood astonished me.
Without showing it at all, the fact of the matter was that about half of
the lead notes being "played" by Keith Richards, were actually being
covered by Ron Wood. All without batting an eye, while prancing around, and
making motions like he's just playing the rythym, so that the focus would
remain on the star (I could tell because - well, I'm a guitarist - and he
had a "Ronny-Cam" mounted on his guitar neck). I was also astonished by
Charlie Watts - a guy that I never considered to be much of a drummer. He
is a master at playing the cymbals on a minimal drum set.

Everybody focuses on the showmanship of Keith and Mick - rightfully so. But
a lot of the meat of the sound is due to the work of Watts and Wood - two
musicians that, prior to that concert, you couldn't have paid me to see.
Unfortunately, I don't think Ron Wood is in the band anymore.
--
Dwight Wallis, CRM
Multnomah County Records Management & Distribution Services Manager