From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2012 11:22:08 -0700
I would caution against the concept of "important" and "other".  NFPA 232
used to use "important" and what we found was anything that wasn't
categorized as "important" must then be "UNimportant" and if it is, WHY are
you bothering to protect it? This was the bone that the commercial services
industry got a hold of and wouldn't let go of until they forced a
relaxation of the volume of records allowed to be in a compartment and the
level of protection form adjacent compartments during a fire.

I don't think people are going to initially think that it is "other"
because they won't know what other is. Even important is problematic
because it's completely subjective.  What is important to someone, say for
instance, their grocery list, bcuz if they don't buy them on the way home,
their significant other is gonna KILL them! or the organization's client
list bcuz without it you won't know who to conduct business with after it
is lost.

Also, John's suggestion of "official and transitory" is similar.
Transitory is a defined term in 36CFR for electronic records in teh US
Federal environment  "...transitory records with a very short-term
retention period of 180 days or less as provided by GRS 23, Item 7, or by a
NARA-approved agency records schedule.." Even the ARMA Glossary (borrowed
from the Archives Glossary) has a definition for it... "A record that has
little or no documentary or evidential value and that need not be set aside
for future use."   Way too subjective, even though both defined sources
consider it to be different... neither necessarily states that it isn't
"official".  It could be official for that 180-day term or the fact that is
has LITTLE evidentiary value may change between that initial day and the
day it becomes the cornerstone to a defense.

Our division is "active" and "Inactive".  They're ALL official because they
were created in the conduct of business, the two categories only indicate
usage.  While in "active" use, they are typically housed near to working
environments and provide protection as required by guidance in our
contract.  While still required to meet retention needs, but no longer in
active use, they are transferred to "inactive storage" and retained to meet
requirements.  Once the requirements have been met, they are evaluated for
further disposition processing; either transferred to another record series
with a longer retention period, or disposed of in accordance with the
established retention period.

Larry

--
*Lawrence J. Medina