From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2012 11:43:43 -0700
If you are placing them in 'fireproof' (typically "fire resistant")
cabinets and storing them in the same location as the principal business
you're protecting them for (the one they are vital to) then they have
little if any value.

Enclosures/storage devices are only a part of a disaster preparedness and
vital records program.  You need to perform a due diligence assessment to
determine what the potential threats and risks are and the probability they
will occur to determine how "hardened" your protection has to be.

Duplication on appropriate media is one step, storage in a location
unlikely to be impacted by an incident where the primary records are stored
is another.

Threats could range from theft to fire to water damage to inability to gain
access due to a chemical or other spill or even an act of nature, such as a
wind storm knocking down a tree, an earthquake, flood, tornado, hurricane,
or a power outage disallowing entry to a building or a floor of a building.
There could even be a combination of events that would impact a region up
to a few square miles or larger, so depending on what you're protecting
against, the measure you take may be much greater.

Keep in mind prior to the Sept 11 attack in NY City, it was assumed
completely logical to have your backups stored in a hardened vault in a
building a couple of blocks away and 115 floor below where your primary
business was.  Prior to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, if someone in
Mississippi stored their backups in Texas 150 miles inland from the Gulf,
they thought that was sufficient as well.

Larry

--
*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA