From:
Julie Colgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:59:55 -0400
Hi Travis - welcome to the public side of the list.  :)

I did not take any workshops, did not have an ICRM mentor and these "packs" didn't exist when I took the exams.  What I did have was many years of hard work under my belt (more than was required of candidates, even back before the requirements were reduced), and, perhaps just as important, a knack for writing.

I took the practice tests and focused study in the areas I felt less comfortable with (microforms and forms management, to be specific).  I read the Robek book nearly word for word (since it covered the topics from a very traditional RM perspective).  I read parts of Saffady's book.  Then, I took the plunge.

I took parts 1-5 over the course of 2 days and passed them all the first go-around.  They were challenging, but not too much trouble.  When the next cycle rolled around, I sat for Part 6 and passed.

As others have attested, the time constraints are the most sinister.  If you don't know your "RM stuff", you won't pass.  But even if you do, if you aren't a comfortable writer, you will struggle.

The testing mechanism is also part of the issue - no spell check, and no way to review your work as a whole (so you spend time going to previous screens to review for flow, etc.).  I assume these speed bumps still exist but am not sure, to be honest.

My best advice, especially if you are not a comfortable writer, is to do practice case studies (several of them).  Write a couple without timing first to hone your approach, vocabulary, transitions, etc.  Have someone "grade" them, at least for form, grammar and spelling if not content. Then, start putting time constraints on yourself to get comfortable with managing the clock.  Grade those too.

I promise the time you spend doing that will help.  As for reading books - read what you think you need, but in a lot of ways the exam is designed to evaluate professional experience *applying* the concepts you read about.  And as a sidebar - that is exactly why the reduction of candidate requirements doesn't bother me ... the exam rigor is the same and will still weed out those who are not ready, regardless of the number of years they've been at it.

Best of luck to all current and future CRM candidates!

Julie

Julie J. Colgan, CRM

**All comments are my own**

Sent from my iPad