From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2012 00:48:30 -0400
On Jul 22, 2012, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> Subject: Re: Fireproof cabinets
>

> Hugh Smith said "... [ask] your offsite storage company ... to define the level of protection they provide you. Then ask them to give you a letter with a Statement of Defined Protection."
>
> Hugh, is there a publicly-available format for this Statement of Defined Protection? Specifically, what it needs to include.
>
> Hugh also asked "... how many companies really make the redundant copy and have a precise plan to ensure it is offsite while the original is in the file cabinet on site?"
>
> IMHO, any Records Manager who suggested such a solution to her (his) executive management would be told to have her (his) head examined. Or less kindly treated.
>
> Fred

Since there are different options, this could take various forms:
1) A licensed Fire Protection Engineer could provide a Letter of Certification that the vault is a Class 350 Vault built to NFPA 232 Standards and attest that all walls and ceiling are constructed 8" poured concrete on all walls and ceiling and it is independent of the building structure with a Laboratory Listed and Labeled Vault Door. (If the company uses filled brick then the walls must be 10" thick with an 8" poured ceiling.) There are specifics in the Standard and the Engineer can review the engineering documents on the vault or this engineer might be the engineer who designed the vault.
2) The offsite storage company could provide you a copy of their Laboratory Listing and Label on the vault construction along with a Certification Statement from the vault installer that the vault was installed as it was tested.
3) If the vault is in a Seismic Activity Area they should also include a copy of the Engineer's Wet Stamped Engineering Drawings assuring the vault is  designed to a Zone IV Seismic Structural Situation. This used to apply to only people on the West Coast but it may start turning up in building requirements here after our last earthquake on the East Coast.

The most common flaws you will see is that they build two walls and attach it to the tilt-up walls of the warehouse. But NFPA 232 calls out that all of the walls of the vault be independent of the building structure. In these massive warehouses, the walls expand and contract by significant amounts.  In one I visit, the corners of the building opened up 2" during winter and then closed back up in summer. Imagine what they would do in a massive fire?  I can't either so that is why the vault is supposed to be independent.

There are lots of tricks unscrupulous companies use to deceive you but asking for a certification from a fire protection engineer or the engineer who designed the vault will keep you out of trouble.  They put their business on the line when they issue that Certification of Performance that the vault will provide Class 350 Fire Protection for a concrete vault or Class 125 for a Media Vault.

Vault doors are required to have automatic door closers. Yet very few do??  EVERY Vault we install does because of one thing......... some people out there never close their vault doors. Our doors close and lock the bolts.  Next time you tour your facility or your offsite, ask them to close the vault door.........and lock it.  Then ask them to open it. If you see a panicked look, that means they aren't closing the door every night so they don't know the combination.

If they don't close the door every night, then you are not really in a vault.   Also look for door wedges, if they use those for the vault, even the closer will not be able to close the door. These are housekeeping things that could occur after the fire protection engineer has already certified the vault.

>> IMHO, any Records Manager who suggested such a solution to her (his) executive management would be told to have her (his) head examined. Or less kindly treated.

If for no other reason than when a records manager changes jobs, the new RM may or may not keep the procedures in place. I come back to visit a vault that was under RM #1 and they have retired and RM #2 simply does not have the same security on the vault. In this down economy, you see companies cutting corners. Shredding has dramatically increased to move boxes off the shelves so when boxes are shred, some other records may go that were not intended.  The only industry I know that seriously follows procedures is the nuclear industry. They are continuously audited and serious fines and shut downs occur when they fail to comply.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM