From:
Gordy Hoke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gordy Hoke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2012 18:04:47 -0500
Going over the elucidating conversation from earlier this month about whether to keep metadata after the records are rightfully disposed, I had a thought worth considering.  Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and I certainly don't claim any legal expertise.  But I do think about these things:

If retained metadata contains an audit trail of the people that retrieved particular records, it is possible that an opposing attorney could subpoena a reader of the record to testify from memory what was in the disposed record.  In that case, the content of the record would not really be gone...it would just be transferred to a less authoritative format.  That sounds risky to me, and a good motivator to, at least, delete audit trail metadata when a record is disposed.

What do you think?  Am I missing something?

Gordy
Gordon E.J. Hoke, CRM

Gordon E.J. Hoke, CRM