From:
Ellie Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2012 11:43:13 -0400
To add to Andrew Warland's comment which I completely agree, this creation
date issue is not unique to SharePoint 2010.  I tested the same scenario
with another leading EDRMS product and had the same results.  Now with that
particular product, you could prevent the create date problem by restricting
users to create a new documents only from the application Desktop, and not
outside of it. But this may negatively affect usability and work processes.

This brings up my question about importance of creation date on retention.
It seems that some RMs seem to consider this as a critical issue while I
tend to think of it as not as vital as long as the correct date metadata is
not wiped out by the system. To my knowledge, retention is mostly triggered
by "Record" creation date, and not Document creation date, that is in the
EDRMS environment when document is declared as Record, and in paper world
the date marked or registered on the document or when that document is
filed.  In other words, if it took me ten days to write a letter before
sending it out, the retention of that letter would be calculated from the
date I sent out/filed/marked as a record in EDRMS that letter, not the date
I started drafting it.  In essense, how crucial is the accuracy of creation
date when it comes to retention and disposition? I'd appreciate your opinion
on this.

-Ellie