From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2012 11:43:26 -0700
I'm never one to take issue with Mr. Medina's culinary choices, but....

http://www.rickbayless.com/restaurants/grill.html
LM:    great place, excellent selection of food

PC: You will pay for Mr. Bayless' name. That said, he does put on a good feed.

http://www.webergrillrestaurant.com/AboutUs/?openkitchen&mcid=0&scid=9&id=89
LM:     great food and a fantastic show, grill cooking in the open kitchen

PC: The Weber Grill does tend to be pricey, but generally pretty good. They actually cook in Weber Grills (albeit very large restaurant quality grills)

http://www.texasdebrazil.com/chicago
LM:     similar to Fogo de Chao, but I liked it better this place is not cheap, but is you go, plan to leave in a MEAT COMA!!

PC: Last time I went it was north of $50 a plate. Bring your wallet and a lot of appetite.

http://www.billygoattavern.com/home.html
LM:     ONLY if you go to the REAL one on Lower Michigan Avenue (this is the place they spoofed on Saturday Night Live for years)  It’s more for the experience than the food

PC: Agreed. There is also one in Concourse C at O'Hare in the food court. same burgers, less atmosphere. If you must have a "cheezborger", you have to go to the one at Michigan and the River, lower level.

http://www.alsbeef.com/company/locations.asp
LM:    If you want an AUTHENTIC Italian Beef Sandwich, or a Chicago Dog (Portillo’s makes great dogs too)

PC: Disagree here. Al's gets great PR, but they do something weird to their beef. I prefer Portillo's, although I really prefer my local beef joint. The Portillos on Ontario Street also has great ribs.

http://www.loumalnatis.com/Menu/restaurant-bar.aspx
LM:    ask 6 people and you’ll get 6 different answers, but I hear THIS is THE place for Chicago style pizza

PC: Lou's is also big on their PR, but they have good pizza. Deep dish has become very commercialized in Chicago because it is big bucks. You also have Uno's, Due, and Giordanos, among a lot of other places. You'll also find a lot more "traditional" old country pizza places these days with stuff that I don't recognize to be pizza.

PC: It is hard to find a bad meal in Chicago. We love our restaurants. Stay away from the t-shirt places and find something local and authentic and you almost never will go wrong. Yelp.com is a good source for real reviews by real people. There are also great meals to be had in Greek Town and China Town.

Patrick Cunningham, CRM, CIP, FAI

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."
-- Colin Powell