From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2012 10:44:23 -0400
We had a horrible event in Kutztown.  A local family had a Dell Laptop under the bed in one of the bedrooms and it started a fire, caught the carpet on fire, burned up and caught the mattress on fire.

This then led to the entire house being destroyed.  Luckily the one teenage daughter sleeping in the house was alerted by neighbors to get out of the house.

The beauty in a small town is that everyone stepped up and the family soon had a place to stay and clothes for the family, etc.  And Nationwide Insurance was wonderful.  They will soon have a new home.

But Nationwide alerted Dell, ( apparently this isn't the first battery fire) and they have Engineers coming in to meet with fire officials.  This family lost their family photos, heirlooms and all the information on the computer.

But no one was hurt and our Community stepped up. But it might be worth the investment to change our batteries on your laptops when they get old.  Or........?

Does anyone have any suggestions?  (e.g., Keep the battery in the freezer when not in use? )

Think of all the laptops on planes???????  If it is the Lithium battery that is the issue, many of the computer manufacturers  could have the same problem.  Or this could be just a case of a computer that was handled roughly over time and the battery could have been damaged.  TSA Agents are very considerate when they handle your laptops, iPads and such.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM