From:
"Julie J. Colgan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2012 18:17:12 -0400
Hi Renee,

Congrats on your new position!  There are some great items out there about
the legal vertical, however they relate mostly to private law practice.
That said, the concepts presented will still be highly relevant for two
reasons: 1) your lawyers are (assumedly) practicing lawyers licensed
somewhere in the US so are held to the same ethical standards as private
practice lawyers, and 2) most the RM/file management concepts are based on
"case management" tenets since that is how lawyers generally think and
work.  Granted, they will also likely have non-litigation related duties,
but they often still think of their work in terms of "engagements" or
"projects" that have a beginning, middle and end.

I see Pilar chimed in while I was typing this (she's wicked smart - I
recommend reading all of her posts) ... the "Blue Book" she linked to is
what those of us in private legal RM consider our "professional bible".
Get it.  You won't be disappointed.  (NOTE: I think I recall a rumor that a
new edition is expected, but no idea when it is set to be released - you
may want to check into that before you buy the first edition.  Lee or Beth
... any update on the new edition??).

The list's very own John Montana wrote a great book as well, which I can't
seem to recall the title of or else I'd put a link here.  John ... if
you're reading this, please send along a link.  :)

There are also numerous articles on the interwebs if you do a little
digging (I posted one to the eLegal site a few years ago, so I know at
least THAT one exists!).  There are also several LinkedIn groups dedicated
to this topic that you can join.

Finally, if you are a member of ARMA, you can join its iConference social
networking site and join the Legal group there.  If you are going to be at
the Annual Conference in Chicago later this month, be sure to search out
the Legal Roundtable.  If you aren't going this year but are considering
next year, look into attending the pre-conference called "LIT-Con" which is
co-presented by ARMA and ILTA (International Legal Technology Association)
and is co-located where the ARMA conference will be held.  I'd say you
should join ILTA (they have great resources), but their membership
structure is based on corporate memberships rather than individuals - so
your agency would have to join (which I doubt they would).

I hope some of this is helpful.  If you have any specific questions, you
can post them here and the list will more than likely oblige your inquiry
with well-intentioned, and usually extremely helpful, suggestions.  I am
also always happy to respond to questions sent to me directly offlist.

Cheers!
Julie

--
Julie J. Colgan, CRM