From:
Wayne Hoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2012 15:28:49 -0400
Sometimes a situation is posed on the listserv and while the responses are
good we don't find out the eventual resolution to the issue.  Today I can
report on a resolution.  First of all - apologies for the late post.  I came down
with a nasty bug (probably got bitten by a zombie record, I guess) and am
just in today for a few hours, frantically trying to catch up on the listserv
postings.

John pretty much nailed it right off the bat... cue anti-climactic music now.  It
was a difficult process (the satellite office is quite far afield) but eventually
we discovered that the index data is not just out of date but inaccurate as
well.  Barcodes that were supposed to be afixed to physical files never were.
It's a big fat collection of information for information's sake (to quote Julie
again), and so we're moving ahead with deleting it.

Much thanks to all who responded privately and publically.  And now I have to
figure out a way to use "chimerical" in my own day-to-day language.

Wayne Hoff, CRM
Calgary, AB

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 18:20:45 -0400, Wayne Hoff
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm in a bit of a bind and any feedback would be highly appreciated.
>
>I've recently become part of a project to inventory a large set of files from a
>satellite office and upload them to our records database.  It turns out that
>the files were being managed in the same database some years prior, but for
>some reason that had ceased.  It's easier to do a clean inventory than to try
>to match up out-of-date index data with the current reality.
>
>My question is - what is the best thing to do with the old index data?
>Metadata is not of itself a record, but it provides an audit history of the
>records during that time, which would be useful if we could cross-reference it
>with the current inventory.  I have a lot of stakeholders who just want to
>delete the old index data and start fresh, and I haven't been able to strongly
>articulate the reasons for keeping it.
>
>Any thoughts or advice or justification for going one way over the other?
>
>Much thanks.
>
>Wayne Hoff, CRM
>Calgary, AB

>To unsubscribe from this list, click the below link. If not already present,
place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the
message.