From:
"Julie J. Colgan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2012 12:19:04 -0400
First - nice to see you on the list, Dana - been a while!

I second that this is a fantastic question, however in Larry Medina style,
I'd have to say the answer "depends".

I work with many very large corporations who have little to zero formal
records management functions.  However, that doesn't mean they have no
costs associated with recordkeeping or information governance.

Depending on the purpose of your question and your intended argument, you
could and likely should also consider costs for data storage, labor to
maintain data storage, licensing costs for document/email/whatever
management systems, and so on.  You also have soft cost for opportunity
loss besides the facilities aspect Dana provided below ... down time due to
inefficient information creation/use/management, etc.

You could also look at compliance for costs (recordkeeping activity aspects
as well as compliance failure costs/fines), and also at litigation
readiness and response costs (salaries, software, discovery vendor costs,
sanctions/fines).

When I work with my clients, the first thing I focus on is ensuring that
they understand that their information-related threats and opportunities
span wide and deep across the enterprise, and that "official records" and
the activities associated with their mainentance are often just the tip of
the iceberg.

So, back to your specific question, organizations with strong
corporate governance in general tend to spend less across the board than
those who operate in a more ad hoc and siloed fashion.

How's that for a non-answer.  :)

Cheers,

Julie

--