From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2012 14:38:36 -0400
Well. I certainly support the efforts of the AIEF to offer "free"
publications, but there are operating costs and donor contributions that
factor into the business model of the AIEF.

 Let me echo Patrick's and Carolyn's observation about the relationship
between publications and income. As an occasional contributor to ARMA
publications and the AIEF, I can tell you that income is not the goal of the
author. HOWEVER, few of us live financially independently on our
investments, so if there is at least some compensation for authors, they can
more easily expand the time they can realistically devote to the
publications.

This has always been a challenge for "refereed" professional academic
publications. People have to balance time and professional commitments, and
the costs of producing these publications often seem to eventually exceed
what the supposed audience are willing to pay for them.

I think that the most common delusion that I often see is when people think
that if it's a "free" available government publication its really "free".
Really?

John

John Phillips
Information Technology Decisions