From:
Brianna MacKinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2012 13:46:47 -0700
Try researching:

1. Zubulake v. UBS Warburg LLC  and
2. Coleman v. Morgan Stanley

The Zubulake case provides an example of court-issued sanctions to parties
unable to produce e-mail and other information during discovery. This case
impacted Federal Rules and instigated Sarbanes-Oxley regulations.

In the second instance, the defendant's back up tapes of e-mails were not
included in a signed court document and were found after the submission of
the production document.

Hope this helps.
Bri