From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:28:34 -0600
I used to do presentations on the language of change. One of the core
themes was understanding the terminology of those you are dealing with. The
idea is that while we have a cleaunderstanding of what we mean when we use
a term, so does the other person that used and meant something different.
So we are faced with some choices, we can expect that others will
instinctively know what we mean or maybe even get them to accept ourmeaning
or we can strive to understand what they mean and reconcile the issue. As
records managers getting someone to accept our meaning presents problems,
not the least of which is that we seldom agree on anything, much less the
meaning of our terminolgy. It falls to us, as individuals, to research and
find out what is being expressed. We then must reconcileperception to  the
disparate meanings, Further, we must typically alter our  perception to
reconcile with the other meaning. Not always, but maybe far to often. So as
an individual, you might query the source to find out what they meant.
Asking the list will get you a myriad of responses. No concensus. A thread
that goes sideways. No resolution.

Of course there is a solution. Hire Larry (or maybe he will volunteer to do
it if you ask him nicely) to develop a standard lexicon for the profession
that will in fact, not fiction, hold our "profession" to if nothing else an
agreed upon dictionary.

Why are the words spelled differently?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences

My son claims this is the fount of all knowledge.

Chris Flynn

P.S. for those of you that are looking for the previous post Peter (the
list MA) wants me to delete them prior to posting so yo uwill have to
research that as well.

P.S.S. Dang it's cold here