From:
D NISHIMURA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2013 12:04:00 -0500
Actually I have a rather lengthy posting to make, but being new to this list, I see that an introduction is requested to get the ball rolling.

I'm Doug Nishimura (sorry, only relatives get away with calling me Dougie), one of the research scientists  at the Image Permanence Institute at the Rochester Institute of Technology. We are an independent, non-profit, University-based  research lab interested in the preservation of cultural materials (mostly archival materials.) Historically, we started as a purely photograph preservation research lab, but over the last 27 years, we've broadened our interests to include such things as paper, books and wood.

Much of our work led us to storage environments and then to sustainable storage environments (which is probably of greater interest to this list than something like the abrasion vulnerability of photo books.)

We've been involved in the development of the ANSI (no longer published) and ISO storage standards for photographic film (ISO 18911), photographic prints (ISO 18920), photographic plates (ISO 18918), polyester-base magnetic tape (ISO 18923), and optical discs (ISO 18925).

Technically, my degree is in chemistry, but I knew early on that in this field I was going to have to have as broad of a knowledge base as possible and I probably teach as much physics and statistics as chemistry. I officially started working in this field in 1983 at what was known as the Public Archives of Canada (now Library and Archives Canada) and I joined IPI at its beginning as a lab in 1986, although officially we existed on paper back in May of 1985.
We're co-sponsored by RIT and IS&T - The Society for Imaging Science and Technology and are supported by grants from NEH, IMLS, and the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

I'll keep this short and simply invite people to visit our web site at www.imagepermanenceinstitute.org<http://www.imagepermanenceinstitute.org> .

-Doug
Douglas Nishimura
Image Permanence Institute