From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2013 12:16:45 +1100
Well, that's what I said too, in a different way. I don't know what Larry
and Bill's retention schedules look like, but ours (most of which we have
no option on using, they are imposed on us) are a fright, huge, complex,
overly granular, inconsistent, pedantic . . . don't get me started). So we
took the schedules as one of the factors in developing our framework, made
them VERY functional, ironed out inconsistencies, eliminated things we know
drive end users crazy - all in ways which do not conflict with the letter
of the retention law (it's called big bucket). From the end user's point of
view it doesn't look much like the retention schedules they love to hate.

So we still have our voluminous, granular, clunky horrible retention
schedules, and a virtual folder setup in the EDMS which makes it easy for
people to browse for things when search doesn't work. And all of our users
are very aware of recordkeeping obligations, security, and privacy, through
our ongoing awareness program, and they know how to apply additional
security in the EDMS on a case by case basis. We don't use retention to
teach good recordkeeping.

Users also appreciate knowing that, 99% of the time, they can simply drop a
document into a browse folder, and don't have to worry about retention and
security if they don't want to because we've set it up for them.

I still insist, your retention schedules should not drive your EDMS
structure - nor should they drive your RM program because an RM program is
all about managing DOCUMENTS (some of which are records).

It's lunchtime up here in Oz, so if I can find my way down off this high
horse, it's time for a sandwich.

Cheerio

Glenn

Glenn Sanders
Australia
0407 187 333
These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked and
they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Harry Peck and Co and Glenn".
Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.