From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2013 06:16:20 -0700
On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM, John Phillips
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> There are really only a couple of issues here.
>
> 1. The undeniable importance in a democracy of transparency and the
> critical
> role of openness in records generated by government. This is appropriate
> subject for the list.
> 2. An assumption or allegation that a news source has a slanted opinion.
> Really? Whose slant? Which direction? Much of the media is blatantly
> shamelessly biased......
> Discussing issues like this is very important and it is a primary reason we
> have Records Managers in government and a Listserv like this to discuss it.
>
> Facts vs Opinion. If someone thinks a news source about a records issue is
> more opinion than fact, they can provide a reference to a countervailing
> opinion or more accurate facts. It is more important to hear more than one
> perspective on a records issue on this list than it is to appoint someone
> on
> the list as the sole arbiter of sanitized perspective.

1) appropriate for the list shifts from time to time, but the baseline has
always been IT IS TO BE RIM related first and foremost. "democracy and
transparency" have there place, but they are not in the fore here.

2) the slant wasn't the issue... the slant was brought up because we didn't
see anyone promoting the open discussion of these issues in the prior
administration, but we do now.  And when issues were posted in the past,
they were challenged as being off topic. AND DON'T ask me to cite
examples...others recall it happening as well.

3) there are many records managers here that ARE NOT public employees, in
fact, I'd venture a guess the MAJORITY ARE NOT... and of those that are,
maybe half of them are Federal RMs.  and this is NOT the reason this
Listserv exists, it never was.

4) fact vs. opinion?  in today's social media and weakly structured print
media world, the old tests of three independent sources prior to publishing
an article are all but gone... its easier to publish a 'mea culpa' than to
do the hard work up front.

Personally, I'll take my RIM news here, and seek my political opinions
elsewhere.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA