From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2013 09:35:09 -0500
Well I happen to think that transparency is a great topic to discuss on the
list. Unfortunately we can't do that apparently without first dealing with,
for lack of a better word, opinion. So here goes, I studied for years under
a man named Bert Rhoads. For those of you unfamiliar with the name, he is a
former Archivist of the United States (yes that includes Texas. In fact if
memory serves, LBJ appointed him). Dr. Rhoads stressed from day one the
principle that all Records Managers and Archivist should remain neutral
with in their organization.
One, you don't bring your personal politics to work.
Two, you remain neutral within your orgainization.

We have access to an enormous amount of information that few with our
organizations share. The danger is in leveraging information you are privy
to, in order to effect change you individually support. In addition,
regardless of your personal affiliations, you are going to honk off a
certain percentage of those you deal with. Those opposed to your views will
begin to suspect your motives. Your ability to do your job effectively will
begin to be impacted.

Professional neutrality is difficult to establish and almost impossible to
maintain. As you move up the ladder, the pressure to bend to the will of
leadership is tough. I recommend to find that center, and hold your ground
to the best of your ability. Your benefit to the organization is best
served by doing your job. Few things come without a cost. By bringing our
individual prejudices to bear in a professional environment costs us.

This is still a free country. You can do as you wish within the law (more
or less). So I will suggest to all information managers that you curb your
personal opinions. Wearing your RM hat, confine your opinions to RM issues.
If you wish to be the moral arbiter I would suggest a different career path
might be in order.

So let's talk about transparency

Chris Flynn