From:
Gordy Hoke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gordy Hoke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:43:08 -0500
Thanks for the introduction, Wanda.

From a very practical perspective, start by asking who has control and responsibility for the records in a share drive or SharePoint site.  Every record should have a custodian.  I like to say there should be no orphan records.  From my perspective, the record owner has ultimate responsibility for retention and disposition of their records.

Having said that, there are two other dynamics.  First, record owners need education/training/incentives to take responsibility for retention/disposal, implying the organization should have policies, procedures, guidelines, etc.  Second, highly automated systems (which are rare, in my experience) can facilitate the process by presenting records eligible for disposal to the record owner.  If the automation is good enough to meet an acceptable level of risk, some of the responsibility can be put on the system.

These are just some random thoughts on your topic, but I hope they stimulate your own analysis of your situation.

Good luck,

Gordy
Gordon E.J. Hoke, CRM
Waukegan, IL, USA