From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2013 11:43:20 -0400
I've been following this thread with great interest.  We receive a variety of FOIA requests - some for legitimate need to know, some for media stories,  and some from citizens who basically want us to do their work for them.  A good example is the yearly request from various "work from home" folks to compile lists of unrefunded deposits sitting in government accounts so they can provide this information to the depositors for a fee as "forgotten" funds they are entitled to collect.  While some unrefunded deposits are "forgotten" funds, the majority are deposits that have not yet met the refund conditions.  Yet, every year we (as well as several other City departments) receive 4 or 5 FOIA requests from various folks to compile this information into a spreadsheet and forward the results to them.  The way the Virginia law is worded, we must comply.  The good news is, we've done this for several years now and have a spreadsheet ready at the beginning of each year.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division