From:
Angela & Najib Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2013 19:07:01 -0500
Maggi

I've had some experience with this approach.  One of the most important
things to consider is the type of metadata being gathered around the records
that are present on the Sharepoint sites so that you can identify your
candidates for destruction at the appropriate time.  This can be an issue
because some records are transactional in nature and easy to retire.  Others
may be event driven or used as reference documents that are needed from time
to time, but really important when they are needed.  All of them need a
record type to classify the general content and some sort of metadata that
makes it easy to determine when the end of the lifecycle has occured.

I've seen departments set up projects, cases, and claim files each to a
separate sharepoint site and then archive the entire site when the record is
"declared" complete.  Others collect specific metadata fields for records
and the records are removed from the site at a specific time based on the
metadata.  If you are using a content management system on top of the
SharePoint sites (i.e. OpenText, TRIM, etc.), there are usually modules that
can help you "declare" records on a SharePoint site in your repository,
including the entire site.  If you are in a "pure" SharePoint environment,
its gets a bit more difficult to nail down.

Just my thoughts, and good luck on your project!  Sound very exciting!