From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2013 15:26:40 -0700
Irrespective of WHAT you may hear form others about the obligation for a
commercial service provider to comply with the requirements in an Business
Associates Agreement, if you are storing PHI, as a client of a provider,
you would be COMPLETELY FOOLISH NOT TO require one.  If a provider is
unwilling to accept the terms, then seek another provider.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/coveredentities/contractprov.html

"The HIPAA Rules generally require that covered entities and business
associates enter into contracts with their business associates to ensure
that the business associates will appropriately safeguard protected health
information.  The business associate contract also serves to clarify and
limit, as appropriate, the permissible uses and disclosures of protected
health information by the business associate, based on the relationship
between the parties and the activities or services being performed by the
business associate."

Here's the deal- you (as a record owner/custodian) have the liability if
the information is accidentally exposed
- if you have transferred custodial responsibility for the records to a 3rd
party and have a contractual agreement with them to provide care and
custody, then that responsibility shift to them.  If you DO NOT have a
"Business Associates Agreement" in place, you continue to bear the
responsibility for their actions.

Think of it like this... you are moving across country, you hire a
warehouse and transportation firm to move your household goods.  While
living at home, your property is protected by homeowners insurance, but
that doesn't cover your property while in storage or transit.  The firm has
a fire, or the truck get broken into or crashes and burns.  Who should be
responsible for replacing your property?  Certainly not you... you had a
contract for someone else to protect it while they were in custody of it.

What Jim speaks of regarding UCC is an often argued about clause between a
storage provider and a client in the case of a total loss (fire) or even
the odd case where records are lost while in transit or in storage.  The
typical limit you see in a contract is somewhere in the area of "$1 per
cubic foot, up to a maximum of XYZ in a loss" and while that Warehouseman's
language is fine if they are storing common commodities, that won't even
cover the cost of replacing a BOX in the case of business records.  It's up
to the client storing records to determine what they feel the value of
their records is and to evaluate the facility they are considering to
determine the risks.  How deep you want to go to do that is ALSO up to you,
but there are tools available to help you, and you may want to include
having your insurance broker or someone get involved in the determination
of the level of risk you'd be exposed to.

And yes, others may tell you, so I'll say it... I was the Chair of the ARMA
Standards Development Committee when there was such a thing and the Project
Manager for the "Guideline for Evaluating Offsite Storage Facilities" and I
am also a Principal Member of the NFPA 232 "Standard for the Protection of
Records" Committee.

Larry

--
*Lawrence J. Medina