From:
"Devir, Brian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2013 11:41:57 +0000
Larry Medina said :

"Kind of an interesting story- I'm sure there are details missing or something is not reported accurately.

If these are flood damaged records that were 'frozen' to protect them, typically, after being completely frozen, they would be vacuum dried and the water removed in the process. Following that, any potential damage would have been arrested and there would be no need for them to remain refrigerated."

You're correct Larry, I went back to the original referenced story and saw that the records were actually still frozen.
"....the FBI's records management division wants to store 12 cargo trailers filled with frozen documents at the base for about a year."

If you store the records frozen, you're basically able to retain them indefinitely without further damage before attempting the vacuum drying process.  Buys you time, but you're paying fuel costs to run the freezer units.  Been there, done that.  :o)

Brian Devir
Cincinnati, OH