From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2013 10:55:13 -0700
On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Dwight WALLIS <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Which is more expensive - storing them frozen for a year, or the vacuum
> drying process? This makes sense if the records are scheduled for
> destruction within 1 year, and the vacuum drying process is the more
> expensive option.
>
> --
> Dwight Wallis, CRM

Don't think that's the issue- more like "analysis paralysis"

Initially they said they would have to decide which records to keep and
which to discard, which tells me the bigger issue is what percentage of
these are simply copies (non-records).  There are few if any records that
would have a retention less than 18 months, and those are only what are
deemed 'transitory' in nature... everything else in the Federal arena is a
minimum of 3 years (current year plus 2) and it's unlikely the EffBeeEye
had many Administrative records in this DC office.

If they are simply in refrigerated cargo trucks chilled to "freezing",
that's one thing... but if they're in recovery vehicles, those are
generally designed to freeze, then you basically 'flip a switch' and change
the state to slowly raise the temperature and simultaneously draw the
moisture off, while air circulates through the vehicle.

If these records were wet and truly are deep-frozen, there is NO WAY to go
through them and assess what they are until they are thawed and dried, so
they should just bite the bullet (so to speak) and get on with it.  I know
there are situations where they can get approval for a bulk destruction,
but I seriously doubt these would qualify unless they are strictly copies.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA
RIM Professional since 1972*