From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2013 07:08:54 -0700
I object to this concept of object storage, for busienss that is.

What is object storage?  Highly scalable, simple, cheap, distributed
storage for the cloud"

http://www.infoworld.com/t/data-center/what-object-storage-215778?source=IFWNLE_nlt_storage_2013-04-10

http://goo.gl/bnw4o

I've said many times in the past "not all clouds are created equal- make
sure you KNOW what you're getting" and this is a clear example of what I've
been talking about.

While I can appreciate that there may be a limited number of situations in
which this format of storage may serve an organization's purposes and
provide adequate metadata to describe your holdings, I think there are very
few that would benefit from this.

"The features you get in an object storage system are typically minimal.
You can store, retrieve, copy, and delete files, as well as control which
users can do which, and that's about it. If you want search or a central
repository of object metadata that other applications can draw on, you'll
generally have to implement it yourself...."

So when someone suggests your organization move its storage to the cloud
because:

"By the end of 2012, 1.3 trillion objects were stored in Amazon S3, the
world's largest and most widely known object storage system. At the time,
that number was growing faster than 1 billion objects per day, so the 2
trillion mark is right around the corner."

Make sure you find out WHAT FLAVOR of cloud they're talking about- the most
popular flavor may have a TERRIBLE after taste.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA
RIM Professional since 1972*