From:
Brian Devir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2013 08:15:26 -0400
Tod Chernikoff noted:

"Having read this report, I was surprised at the statistics citing 34% of
federal records being classified in the survey as permanent.  Has anyone out
there come across this volume, either in public or private institutions?  I
have chatted with a few people regarding this and they all feel this is on the
high side. "

I agree, Tod, and so does NARA.  Government wide, only 2-5% of all Federal
records have permanent retention.  Could this have been a typo of "3-4%",
rather than 34%?  If not a typo, I'd be interested to see exactly what the
question was and how it was posed.

I might venture to guess that 34% of all records sent to a Federal Records
Center for storage have permanent retention; as records with short term
retention generally never leave the agency that created them.

Brian Devir
ORD Records Liaison Officer
US EPA