From:
"Nemchek, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2013 20:13:32 +0000
It's not a common decency, respect thing for the benefit of clients; it's a professional responsibility, legal ethics thing for the lawyers.  Lawyers are bound by the rules of professional conduct, and the management of client property, including records, is covered under these rules.  Lawyers must abide by them if they want to continue in good standing with their local licensing bar association and if they want to keep from getting sued by current and/or former clients.  There is almost no situation where it's ethically ok to destroy client files without even having an index of what you're destroying, no matter how old the boxes are.  Firms may not want to spend the money or personnel resources to correct the sloppy recordkeeping they engaged in in the past, but choosing not to do so is bad business practice and legally unethical.

--Lee

Lee R. Nemchek, MLS, CRM
Vice President, Enterprise Records Governance
Oaktree Capital Management, L.P.
333 South Grand Avenue, 28th Floor
Los Angeles, CA  90071
p +1 213 830-6252   f +1 213 830-8504