From:
"Nemchek, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2013 23:27:41 +0000
I agree with Bill wholeheartedly, with the caveat that, for law firms looking for an easy way out, I don't think we should hand them one on a plate. I wouldn't necessarily offer up the fact that there are workarounds that could save a firm time and resources; I feel they have to earn the right to use such workarounds by making a good faith effort to be diligent and ethical with respect to their record stores.  Also, in Bill's hypothetical below, the firm has client/matter file indexes.  As long as the boxes in offsite storage are mapped to matters, it's probably safe to make certain assumptions about the value of the records.  But I'd be wary of making the same assumptions about old boxes with not enough information available to assess the value of the contents or old boxes tied to inactive clients that are still in existence and can be easily contacted for disposition instructions.

And with that, I say everybody have a good weekend!

--Lee

Lee R. Nemchek, MLS, CRM
Vice President, Enterprise Records Governance
Oaktree Capital Management, L.P.
333 South Grand Avenue, 28th Floor
Los Angeles, CA  90071
p +1 213 830-6252   f +1 213 830-8504