From:
John Lovejoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2013 08:39:34 +1000
UNOFFICIAL
Donna

As many people have mentioned, an office without paper is just about
impossible. Until we have loads of technological, generational (and
other assorted) change, people will print stuff out. They may have a
meeting to go to and they cannot bring their computer with them. They
may prefer to do their thinking on paper - annotating, crossing out,
etc.

The Australian Commonwealth Government has issued a 'Digital Transition
Policy', where all government agencies are supposed to move from a
reliance on paper based records to a position where digital records are
the norm. To assist those agencies, the National Archives of Australia
has provided a lot of guidance on its website -
http://naa.gov.au/records-management/digital-transition-policy/index.asp
x. Although it is aimed at a specific audience, there is a lot of
information that could be used by most organisations.

The starting points are to limit the creation of paper records, review
work processes, scan incoming paper and reduce paper stockpiles.
Associated with this is the need to have reliable systems in place to
manage the digital records. Follow the links to the Digital Continuity
Plan for information about this.

Obviously, this is not an easy job. It may be possible to 'convert' a
key area of an organisation first, and sell the success of that to the
rest of the organisation.

Full disclaimer: I work for the National Archives, but not currently in
a role dispensing records management advice. I was, however, part of a
small team that produced the Digital Transition and Digital Continuity
advice.

John

John Lovejoy
Operations and Preservation Branch