From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2013 08:38:49 -0700
I know this message sat for quite awhile unanswered, but in part I think
it's because many read it and said "Huh?"

Todd asked (in part):

 "...how other companies have handled bulk deletion of email on old backup
tapes" and then added "...need to determine a reasonable policy for
deleting this data or look at migrating it to newer storage in order to
make it readily accessible going forward..."

I'm assuming most who read this were confused, because BACKUP TAPES are NOT
intended for storing records that are to remain accessible.  Backup tapes
are intended for use to recover a system in the event of an interruption in
service, a  catastrophic loss or a disaster.  They are held for a
prescribed time period, after which the data on them becomes "stale" and is
replaced by newer backups.  Once that happens, they are typically
overwritten or "refreshed" and re-used.

I was unsure if you were talking about "archive" tapes... copies of older
content that is infrequently accessed and stored off line in tape form, or
something similar to that. I can see where there may be plans to migrate
content of this type to an email storage system (PLEASE don't refer to it
as a "solution", it's only a tool), but you'd never do this with "backup
tapes".

The only reason you'd move 'archived email' to a management system would be
IF the content of the email meets your organization's definition of a
record and must be retained... but otherwise, if its infrequently accessed
and you are able to mount tape and search it, I'm not sure why you'd bother.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA
RIM Professional since 1972*