From:
Frederic Grevin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2013 12:10:01 +0000
I am re-posting to the listserv the comments I made on the LinkedIn page.

Fred
Frederic J. Grevin, Vice-President
Records Management Department
New York City Economic Development Corporation * www.nycedc.com
[log in to unmask] * w. 212.312.3903 * mobile 917.510.3016 * f. 212.618.5722

I generally agree with your comments, Don, but I do have a few quibbles.

First, you state CATEGORICALLY "stand-alone Records Management applications haven't existed for almost a decade." I beg to differ (Note: I am a user, not a vendor). Your assumption seems to be that EVERYONE WHO IS ANYONE has an enterprise content management system AND that this system includes records management in some fashion. Don, it ain't so! MY employer has had HP's Autonomy Records Manager (ARM, formerly CA Records Manager, formerly FileSurf) for a decade, BUT is just beginning to deploy SharePoint (which I do not claim to be an enterprise content management system). It will be interesting to see what HP produces in the Child-of-ARM/TRIM next year, but there is NO possibility that we will be implementing what you consider to be an enterprise content management system.

Second, you state "The Baseline Compliance Test Procedures for certifying against the Standard is full of countless metadata requirements for a wide range of record types. The level of metadata tagging suggested by these procedures would almost certainly impose an undue burden on any organization's end users and would undoubtedly result in an extremely low (perhaps even zero) adoption rate." I do not claim to be as familiar with DoD 5015.2 as you are, but I'd like to point out that, for example, library catalogue system (OPACs) typically conform (in the USA) with the MARC21 metadata transmission standard, which has hundreds of metadata elements (see http://www.loc.gov/marc/umb/). The point is that NONE of these elements is used in any one record, but, in a large library, there is high probability that most if not all of the elements will be used in SOME records. In other, having a large number of metadata elements never establishes a requirement to use all of them for any one record.

That said, I do hope the DoD, in the interest of better records management, comes up with a better solution, and I hope your posting kicks off a vigorous discussion at the DoD and NARA (and not just in RIM circles).

Best regards,

Fred