From:
"Julie J. Colgan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2013 15:53:35 -0400
All great advice from our esteemed colleagues thus far.  My comment is
brief, but slightly different ...

Before you jump into tactics that you might use to protect the files from
water damage, you might want to do a general risk assessment.

Doing so should not only uncover all of the risks that content might face
(including but not necessarily limited to water), but also to validate the
value/criticality of the content and assign a likelihood of risk to each
kind of risk, which then allows you to make informed decisions about the
appropriate nature and level of effort (and $$) to apply to risk
mitigation/avoidance tactics.

I'm a pretty pragmatic person, so don't like to apply more resources to
anything than it actually warrants in order to achieve the end result that
is most reasonable.

Emotions run high right after an unexpected event, but when you apply a
logical framework to decision making you might find out that it was much
ado about nothing.  In a past life I've done this exercise many times and
the results have often surprised the participants.  ARMA's Principles might
be a nice framework upon which to assess a variety of risk and mitigation
tactics - wish it had been around back in the day when I was in house!

Good luck with whatever path you choose!

Julie

--
Julie J. Colgan, CRM

http://twitter.com/juliecolgan