From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2013 15:34:28 -0700
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Johnson Jr., Earl <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> They've asked for some advice as to how to better protect their records
> from flooding and water damage (pipes on the floor level and sprinkler
> systems at the ceiling level), and I'm hoping others on the listserv can
> share any advice they're provided to users.
>
> Aside from suggesting that they not place any records directly on the
> floor--whether boxed or not, I will also suggest that, if possible, that
> they not file any records on the lowest shelves nor on the top of the top
> shelves either.    I will take this as an opportunity to communicate with
> the whole company on better protecting physical records anyway, from water,
> fire, and theft in general.  This might also be the time to move that
> vital/critical records program I've been planning, up a few rungs on the
> ladder too.

The typical guidance in NARA documentation and on the websites of most
organizations that store public records
always suggest that records are stored a MINIMUM of 3" off of the floor,
and that all offices have a "Clean Desk Policy" that ensures at the end of
the day, all work is placed in proper storage cabinets/containers.  This
would include clearing the tops of file cabinets and work surfaces in
storage areas, or at minimum, covering the work areas with water resistant
materials if work must remain out.

The guidance included in NFPA 232 the "Standard for the Protection of
Records", which is designed principally for the protection of records from
fire also includes a good deal of information on operating practices for
file rooms, record centers, vaults and archives.  It even gives guidance on
"Records Protection Equipment".. or what we typically refer to as file
cabinets or other devices used to house records.

I'd suggest anyone interested in this issue purchase and review a copy of
NFPA 232, especially Chapter 8 on "File Rooms".  The guidance is broken
down into General, Design, Location, Size, Supporting Structure, Walls,
Roof, File Room Door, Dampproofing, Electrical Service, Heating and
Ventilation, Fire Protection and Signaling Equipment, and Operating
Practices.  The intent is to give guidance to ensure the least risky
possible scenario exists for the construction, protection and operations
for records stored in a file room up to a maximum of 50,000 CUBIC FEET.  So
start with your ceiling height, then you can calculate the square footage
area of the room.

Obviously, this doesn't mean if you're storing records in a  10x10x10 room
you should have all of these same concerns, but if you have a sizable area
used as a central file room, the great majority of the guidance in here
should be applicable to you.  Again, the guidance here is a minimum of 3"
off the floor and also doing whatever is possible to avoid piping (other
than that for sprinklers) running through the file room.

The time to be concerned about the conditions in which your organizations
records are stored is prior to an event. however, it's not at all uncommon
to take these issues for granted until AFTER an event sends a wake-up call.
In the past, many of us used "Records Management Month" as a the time to
raise awareness within our organizations... some of us still do, we just
take it upon ourselves to remember what this is =)

It's a good time to do a walk-down of your facilities and identify areas
that could use improvements... and to recognize those running areas that
are being properly managed.  It's ALSO a good time to make a visit to any
offsite storage facilities you may have contracts with to check the
conditions your records are stored in and how your records are being
handled by them.

Risk is a relative term... every organization has to determine how much
they are willing to accept and take measures to ensure they remain below
their target of acceptability. And obviously, there is a cost/benefit
consideration here.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA