From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:49:16 -0400
I don’t recall this push ever happening but since most job growth occurs in small business, has ARMA ever developed a really good template for small business that starts with the simplest ( no simpler than that) of records storage guideline.

Then show the next step when you grow from that two or three man business to one where you now have ten employees or so and then step three where you grow beyond that.

Many small businesses really are almost paperless these days. Since their volume is light they send faxes right into their computer or if something is mailed they scan it.

The guideline should be very simple and easy to implement.  It should have a software for managing records that is about as simple as creating a PDF.

If ARMA could make small business see a value added to a simple plan and then show how it should evolve and then mentor accounting people and CPA’s in how to tie in the records management plan to what they do, records management would take on a new life and the fastest growing companies would start out with some religion with their records.

Just a thought...........

I suggest you model an App after Angry Birds.  You load the document in a sling shot and shoot into its color coded folder. By color coding it must be shot into the right folder.  At the end of the week the folders start to bounce and chirp until you open the folders and resort by some higher form of classification. Pretty soon school kids would be using it to stay organized in school and ARMA as a backbone of people’s existence would be born.

(Instead of actual birds, one icon could be a Judge, the next an angry IRS agent, then a CPA and  Police Officer. ) I wish I knew how to make apps, I could make records management fun.

As the organization grows the software has harder and harder levels just like records management.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM