From:
John Montana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:37:25 -0400
It's complicated.  Depends on the nature of the entities and the
relationship between them, the nature of the activities, and the
particular countries and laws in question.  Related entities are subject
to transfer pricing laws in various combinations of jurisdictions,
countries like the United States tax worldwise, not just U.S.-based
income, things like hazardous waste are subject to a recordkeeping trail
wherever you may ship them, etc., etc.

The landscape changes over time as well, as countries try to grab tax
money from overseas operations (there was just a big flap over Apple
parking money in an Irish subsidiary, and Congresss is looking for ways
to get at that money right now), and as they re-define things like
"doing business" within a jurisdiction.  The recent flap over sales
taxes on internet-based sales is illustrative of that -- states are
re-defining what constitutes "doing business" in them so they can tax
entities that have no physical presence at all in them.

And of course, many of these records end up on computer systems
co-mingled with records from other countries and other related entities,
and you may not be able to parse them out on a local basis anyway.

The upshot of it all is that for some of your records, a locally-based
retention schedule works, and for others it doesn't; and which is the
case depends on a lot of factors that will vary from organization

--
Best regards,

John
John Montaña