From:
John Montana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:38:36 -0400
I had a person who is working in a United Methodist Church ask me what
retention schedule they should be using. I know the United Methodist
Church has a centralized Archives and Records Department, so I directed
the person there for answers. It got me wondering though, do churches
have to follow federal/state regulations when it comes to records
retention? Or are they exempt? What about churches that aren't part of a
larger affiliation that would have a centralized Archives/Records
Department to consult, like a grass-roots type of institution? Where
would they get their retention schedule from?

Churches, like any other organization, are subject to an assortment of
laws -- For example, if a church has employees, it'll be governed by
wage and hour, employment and employment discrimination, benefits, and
so on.  Its properties may be subject to safety inspections (e.g., fire
inspections) tha may have recordkeeping requirements.  If it has a big
kitchen, that kitchen may be subject to local health requirements with
recordkeeping requirements.  And even though it's probably a non-profit,
it will still have to keep its accounting records in a legally compliant
manner, since an audit to validate its non-profit activities is a
possibility.  There are many other possiblities:  Does it have a school
bus?  Vehicle inspection records.  Etc.,etc.

Bottom line:  For records retention purposes, a Church is very like any
other organization of like size and complexity. It's generally subject
to legal requirements, but what they are will depend on what it does,
and where.

--
Best regards,

John