From:
Gordy Hoke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gordy Hoke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2013 15:48:51 -0500
Well, we all know that Moses was the first records manager, and that Adam and Eve were the first people cited for regulatory non-compliance.

But seriously, while John M. has given a credible legal interpretation to this question, there are other issues as well.

On the micro/parish level, there are records of baptisms, weddings, funerals, etc. that qualify as archival material. There are also records of votes at congregational meetings on budgets, by-laws, etc.

At the broader level, there are all sorts of records that need to be preserved for organizational, doctrinal, or theological reasons.  I see it as unfortunate that the some of the most authentic records in the Christian church are, at best, several-generation derivatives of the originals.

On the other hand, I am thankful for those records managers and archivists that have made ancient hagiography, like the prophecy of Isaiah and the Dead Sea Scrolls, available thousands of years later.

I wish more people would use that as a standard when they apply the "permanent" retention code.

Gordy
Gordon E.J. Hoke, CRM
Waukegan, IL USA