From:
John Montana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2013 17:30:41 -0400
Patrick Cunningham wrote:

The variance comes in when you look at the, shall we say, "operational"
records of the church.This would be records of religious practices,
sacraments, training of ministers, and the like.

Point well taken.  I had my lawyer hat on, as I am wont to do.  In some
of these instances, the priest/minister/etc. is acting in some capacity
as an agent of the state (e.g., marrying someone), but for the most part
these things are not governed by legal requirements.  They are, as
Patrick correctly points out, governed by church law and custom, and
very often by archival considerations.
--
Best regards,

John