From:
"McLean, James T" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2013 12:51:14 +0000
Hello everyone,

I am a first time poster to this list, my name is James McLean and I work in records management in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

I am doing some research into the "duty to document" provision in legislation related to public or government records -  that is, a provision that requires public/government bodies (and their employees) to create records in order to properly document their activities, decisions, transactions, etc. There may be other names for the "duty to document" concept that I'm not aware of, but the key part of it is that it requires organizations and their employees to actively create records of their activities (as opposed to simply managing and protecting records that they have already created).

I am wondering if anyone knows of good examples of this provision in legislation. I have already done some research into Canadian jurisdictions (and discovered that there is not much in place), but I am curious about what is in place in other jurisdictions across the world. Any examples and/or insights on this topic would be much appreciated.

Regards,
James

James McLean
Halifax, NS