From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2013 09:25:47 -0400
James,

In the US, 36 CFR 1220.30 is the operable regulation in the Federal realm,
which states in part,

"(a) Under 44 U.S.C. 3101, the head of each Federal agency must make and
preserve records containing adequate and proper documentation of the
organization, functions, policies, decisions, procedures, and essential
transactions of the agency. These records must be designed to furnish the
information necessary t protect the legal and financial rights of the
Government and of persons directly affected by the agency's activities"

Adequate and proper documentation is the term used therein.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=28e6de94642d516ada85ef5f4fe
ab4a6&n=36y3.0.10.2.10&r=PART&ty=HTML#36:3.0.10.2.10.1.21.1

"I am wondering if anyone knows of good examples of this provision in
legislation. I have already done some research into Canadian jurisdictions
(and discovered that there is not much in place), but I am curious about
what is in place in other jurisdictions across the world. Any examples
and/or insights on this topic would be much appreciated."

Tod Chernikoff, CRM, CIP
Silver Spring MD
www.twitter.com/tchernik