From:
John Montana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2013 12:10:51 -0400
Converting trigger-based retention periods to straight numbers requires
a calculation of the worst-case version of how long that trigger period
is going to be, and adding it to the retention value.  I've done that
exercise more than once, and I can tell you that you need to be willing
to accept some very, very long retention periods if you do it this way;
or if you don't like that solution, you have to be willing to accept the
risk that comes from having retention periods that are likely fall well
short of actual legal minimums.

Take personnel files, for example, retention equal to termination+5.  To
get rid of the "termination" trigger, you have to figure what's the
longest someone could work for you.  Last time I did this for sombody,
we did a little survey and found an active employee who'd been there 60+
years and had no plans to retire any time soon.  Get rid of the trigger
and that bit of evidence leads to a blanket retention period of maybe 70
years for all personnel files.  Nothing inherently wrong with that, you
just have to know what you're getting into and be willing to live with
the results.

Lots of other get-rid-of-the-trigger scenarios lead to similarly long
periods.

--
Best regards,

John