From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2013 11:35:20 -0700
On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM, PeterK <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> An Employee Is Stealing Company Documents…That Can’t Be Protected Activity,
> Right? | Trading Secrets
>
> A supervisor discovers that an employee has recently downloaded thousands
> of pages of confidential Company billing and financial information, and
> e-mailed it to her personal e-mail address. Upon further investigation, the
> supervisor discovers that the employee has asked other employees to also
> send Company documents to her personal e-mail address. This hypothethical
> is a scenario faced by employers more often than they would like.

Can you say Bradley Manning, Benjamin Bishop, Edward Snowden... and any/all
who were before them, caught or not?

While corporate espionage may cost businesses money, other forms can cost
people's LIVES.

Anyone who works for the Federal Government as an employee or Contractor
signs documents that inform them of the penalties of mishandling
information that is sensitive but unclassified and if you are entrusted
with classified, you sign even MORE documents ensuring you're aware of the
penalties.

In a corporate environment, you typically sign NDAs if you are in a setting
where you are entrusted with copyright protected information, business
sensitive, PII, PHI, PFI, etc and again, your employer typically spells out
the penalties for failing to properly protect this information.  (where I
work, I have to sign BOTH!)

If protections aren't put in place to ensure this doesn't happen it's
pretty obvious who is to blame... I mean, the employee/former employee can
be charged/punished when caught, but it's the employer's responsibility to
set up a situation to prevent it from happening in the first place, or from
identifying it happens as soon as it takes place.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA
RIM Professional since 1972*