From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2013 11:50:42 -0700
On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Sharon Morris <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> I currently updating a 20+ year old retention schedule. After validating
> and updating the record inventory, I suggested working with Donald Skupsky
> and/or his tool to develop the retention schedule.
>
> I was asked by the general counsel to identify additional lawyers we can
> work with to develop the retention schedule.
>
> Has anyone on the listserv used outside counsel to develop retention
> schedules?
>
> How did you find a lawyer or firm that has done this before?
>
> What was your experience?
>
> Can I get a referral?

YOUR organization's schedule, or a schedule for a client?

And yes, it DOES matter... because if you're subcontracting then you/your
firm is liable for whatever is provided... so Caveat Emptor.
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/caveat+emptor

I've yet to see an OOTB product or a consultant who assists in the
development of a retention schedule warranty what they deliver beyond the
day it transfers form there hand to yours, even if you sign a contract for
periodic updates.

The OOTB products only update sections of the citations and update them
periodically- quarterly, annually, or even less frequently.... and if the
citations that are pertinent to you are updated the month AFTER the
vendor's cycle, then you're out of luck until the NEXT update cycle for the
product to be current.

In the 30+ years I've been responsible for developing and maintaining
retention schedules for organizations I've worked for, the only times an
attorney has been involved are prior to the roll-out of a completely new
schedule (or major revision to an existing schedule) and when a
hold/destruction moratorium was issued for a specific set of records.  In
all other cases, the functional needs assessment and research to determine
retention periods has been performed by records management personnel.

Larry

*Lawrence J. Medina
Danville, CA
RIM Professional since 1972*