From:
Wayne Hoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2013 16:02:13 -0400
I'm hoping for some insight from the listserv.  I've come across a situation that
blurs the line between original paper records and scanned copies of the same
record.

The Land group in my office wants their files in both the original paper and the
electronic (scanned) formats (they have good reasons for wanting both).
Land files have permanent retention, but managers have requested that the
electronic file be kept permanently, while the paper originals be destroyed
after the file is closed.  I've seen lots of cases where electronic originals are
printed out and the paper is used for some reason - in that case the paper is
destroyed without fanfare because it is just a copy.  I've also done scanning
where the paper is destroyed immediately, and so the existence of the
scanned copy serves as its own evidence (and audit history) of the migration
of record of origin from paper to electronic.

In this case, though, I feel a bit uneasy about just destroying the paper
without a more rigourous destruction process, because until they're destroyed
they're still (legally speaking) the original document and best evidence of the
matter they pertain to.

I see the following as my options:

1. Create a separate retention for both versions of the same record.  (I don't
like that much, though... it violates my sense of RM and good records
categorization)
2. Just destroy the paper without any particular official process when the file
closes.  (I don't like this much either - no audit history or paper trail)
3. Conduct an official disposition of the paper records upon file closure.
(Although this isn't true disposition... this is disposition of the medium more
than the record itself)
4. Create a special form and a special process for destroying the paper
originals, whereby the official record status migrates to the electronic
version.  (Which means extra work for everyone.)

Any thoughts or wisdom to share?  My apologies if this is a bit cerebral, but I
feel like it's a bit of a conundrum that perhaps someone has bumped into
before.  Any input is appreciated.

Wayne Hoff, CRM
Calgary, AB